Friday, May 8, 2026

“The Story of My Life” – An Autobiography of NSAID

Hello…

I am an NSAID — a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug.

You may know me through many names:

πŸ’Š Ibuprofen
πŸ’Š Diclofenac
πŸ’Š Naproxen
πŸ’Š Aspirin
πŸ’Š Aceclofenac

Whenever pain, swelling, fever, or inflammation troubles the human body, I often arrive quietly… but powerfully.

But my story is not just about relief.
It is a fascinating biochemical journey inside the human body.

Come with me, and I will show you how I fight pain through the inhibition of COX enzymes and prostaglandin synthesis.


🧬 Chapter 1 – The Alarm Begins

My story starts when the body faces:

  • Injury
  • Infection
  • Tissue damage
  • Arthritis
  • Muscle strain

The moment cells are injured, the cell membrane becomes disturbed.

Suddenly, an enzyme awakens:

πŸ”₯ Phospholipase A₂

Its mission?
πŸ‘‰ To release a hidden fatty acid from membrane phospholipids:

Arachidonic Acid

This molecule is the starting point of inflammation.


⚙️ Chapter 2 – The Arachidonic Acid Pathway

Once released, arachidonic acid enters an important biochemical pathway.

One road leads to:

πŸ§ͺ Cyclooxygenase (COX) Enzymes

These enzymes are the architects of inflammatory mediators.

There are two major forms:


πŸ”΅ COX-1 — The Protector

COX-1 is always present in the body.

It performs important protective functions:

✔ Protects stomach lining
✔ Maintains kidney blood flow
✔ Supports platelet aggregation
✔ Produces protective prostaglandins

COX-1 is not harmful.
In fact, it is essential for normal physiology.


πŸ”΄ COX-2 — The Inflammatory Trigger

COX-2 appears mainly during:

  • Injury
  • Infection
  • Cytokine stimulation
  • Inflammation

It produces prostaglandins responsible for:
πŸ”₯ Pain
πŸ”₯ Swelling
πŸ”₯ Fever
πŸ”₯ Redness

And this is where I step into action.


πŸ§ͺ Chapter 3 – Birth of Prostaglandins

The COX enzymes convert arachidonic acid into unstable intermediates:

Arachidonic Acid

⬇

into unstable intermediates:

  • PGG₂
  • PGH₂

These intermediates are transformed into:

MediatorFunction
PGE₂Pain and fever
PGI₂Vasodilation and inflammation
TXA₂Platelet aggregation
PGF₂Ξ±Smooth muscle contraction

Among them, PGE₂ becomes one of the major causes of inflammatory pain and fever.


πŸ’Š Chapter 4 – My Mission Begins

I enter the bloodstream after administration.

My target?

🚫 Cyclooxygenase (COX)

I bind to the enzyme and inhibit its activity.

The mechanism is simple but powerful:

NSAIDs+COX enzyme→↓Prostaglandin synthesis

As prostaglandin production decreases:
✔ Pain reduces
✔ Fever falls
✔ Inflammation subsides

The biochemical storm begins to calm.


πŸ’₯ Chapter 5 – My Analgesic Effect (Pain Relief)

During inflammation, prostaglandins sensitize pain receptors.

Especially:

πŸ”₯ PGE₂

It tells nerves:
⚠️ “Feel more pain!”

I stop this message by reducing prostaglandin synthesis.

Result:
✔ Less sensitivity of nociceptors
✔ Reduced headache
✔ Relief from joint and muscle pain

That is my:

πŸ’₯ Analgesic Action


🌑️ Chapter 6 – My Antipyretic Effect (Fever Reduction)

During infections, pyrogens stimulate prostaglandin synthesis in the hypothalamus.

PGE₂ increases the body’s temperature set point.

I inhibit hypothalamic prostaglandin production

Result:
✔ Body temperature normalizes
✔ Fever decreases

That becomes my:

🌑️ Antipyretic Action


πŸ”΄ Chapter 7 – My Anti-inflammatory Effect

Inflammatory prostaglandins cause:

  • Vasodilation
  • Swelling
  • Redness
  • Increased vascular permeability

By blocking COX enzymes:
πŸ‘‰ I reduce inflammatory mediator production.

Result:
✔ Reduced edema
✔ Improved mobility
✔ Relief in arthritis and injuries

That is my:

πŸ”₯ Anti-inflammatory Action


⚠️ Chapter 8 – My Limitations

But every powerful medicine has risks.

When I inhibit COX-1 excessively:
⚠️ Gastric irritation occurs
⚠️ Ulcers may develop
⚠️ Kidney blood flow decreases
⚠️ Bleeding tendency may increase

Especially during:

  • High doses
  • Long-term use
  • Self-medication

That’s why I always say:
πŸ‘‰ “Respect dosage and medical guidance.”


🧬 Chapter 9 – My Evolution

Scientists wanted safer versions of me.

So they developed:

🟒 Selective COX-2 Inhibitors

Examples:

  • Celecoxib
  • Etoricoxib

These selectively block inflammatory COX-2 while sparing protective COX-1.

Advantages:
✔ Less gastric toxicity

But even these newer forms have challenges:
⚠️ Increased cardiovascular risks

Science continues to refine us.


🌍 Chapter 10 – My Life Today

Today, I am one of the most widely used drug classes in the world.

I help millions suffering from:

  • Arthritis
  • Fever
  • Dental pain
  • Sports injuries
  • Postoperative inflammation

From clinics to households…
my journey continues every day.


🧠 Chapter 11 -  Summary Flowchart

Result:

✔ Analgesic
✔ Antipyretic
✔ Anti-inflammatory actions


❤️ My Message

I am not merely a painkiller.

I am:
πŸ§ͺ A biochemical inhibitor
🧬 A controller of inflammatory mediators
πŸ’Š A regulator of prostaglandin synthesis

But with great power comes responsibility.

πŸ‘‰ Use me correctly
πŸ‘‰ Avoid misuse
πŸ‘‰ Respect science


✨ Epilogue

From entering the bloodstream…
To blocking the COX pathway…
To silencing prostaglandins…

This is my story.

I am an NSAID — the quiet warrior against pain, fever, and inflammation.

No comments:

“I am CRISPR: Born in Bacteria, Destined to Transform Humanity"; What if Humans could Rewrite their Own Genetic Code?

  Hello… I am CRISPR Gene Editing . Some call me: 🧬 Genome engineering ✂️ Molecular scissors πŸ§ͺ The future of medicine But I am more than a...